National Choral Composition Competition 2020
by Choirs Aotearoa New Zealand Trust
Compose Aotearoa! is a new national initiative to stimulate the creation of new and diverse New Zealand music for choirs. Designed as an annual competition facilitated by the national body managing our three national choirs, Choirs Aotearoa New Zealand Trust, Compose Aotearoa! will be a rewarding pathway for young as well as established composers to produce new work.
For over four decades our national choirs have benefitted from and contributed to the creation of new New Zealand choral works. With this competition we aim to encourage the development of choral writing in New Zealand and provide a high quality performance opportunity for these works. We invite submissions for choral works suitable for performance by any one of the three choirs.
Submission deadline: 10 Nov 2020, 5pm
- The work should be for a choir of up to 60 voices, with a minimum divisi of four parts (SATB) and maximum eight parts (SSAATTBB). We welcome solo roles, although compositions should be primarily choral in focus, and text in any language.
- The work may be a cappella OR accompanied by up to three instruments, eg a piano and two trumpets; a violin, and viola and a cello.
- The work should be approx. 3 – 8 minutes in duration
- Submitted works should not have been published or publically performed. No arrangements of existing works will be considered.
- Works can be submitted to ONE of the following three categories.
- Open category – prize $2,000
- Composers aged 25 years and under – prize $2,000
- Waiata Tira with substantial Te Reo Māori content (70%-100%) – prize $2,000
An additional prize of $1,000 will be awarded to a category winner, with an invitation to join one of the national choirs as Composer in Residence to progress the work for performance.
Category winners will become SOUNZ Composers. A SOUNZ composer has a profile page on www.sounz.org.nz which lists their works, commissions, performances, films/audio, etc. and provides worldwide visibility.
- The competition is open to NZ citizens and NZ residents only
- The competition will be judged by the national choirs’ music directors and one external judge. The decision of the judges is final and not contestable
- Composers must have obtained copyright for any text used in the work
- Copyright on the music is retained by the composer.
- The winner of the competition shall grant Choirs NZ the right to premiere the winning piece within 12 months of announcement of the winners, and record the piece (audio or video) within one year of that premier performance. Choirs NZ will have the non-exclusive rights to perform the piece in perpetuity. All winning works should be marked with “One of the winning entries of the Choirs Aotearoa New Zealand Compose Aotearoa! Competition 2020″ on the music score cover or in the concert programme, whenever possible
- Works should be submitted as PDFs. The score should be laid out using conventional choral formatting and ready for duplication. Care should be taken with word underlay. Composers grant the choir permission to make further copies for performance at no additional fee. The composer’s name should NOT appear anywhere on the submitted score. An MP3 audio file of a computer realization may also be submitted.
- Choirs NZ reserves the right to award no prizes in one or more categories if scores do not reach satisfactory standard.
- Choirs NZ reserves the right to change competition rules without notice.
Deadline for submission is 5.00pm November 10, 2020 with winners announced November 30.
For any enquiries please contact Anna Bowron, firstname.lastname@example.org
We gratefully acknowledge the Patrons of Compose Aotearoa! Trevor and Carol Kempton.